Lead Android Developer required to help our newly promoted Engineering Manager continue to deliver excellent apps!
Working in a very Agile/TDD environment you will have a passion for Android Development with a background in another programming language (ideally Java) but this is not a deal breaker!
The AppFactory is a group of passionate app Designers, Engineers and Testers that build features for new and existing apps on iOS and Android platforms for the PhotoBox Group. In 2014, we brought the Moonpig.com, Sticky9 and PhotoBox apps in-house and today, we are embarking on further expansion to deliver apps as part of the group’s ambitious development roadmap in which mobile is a key component including bringing the PosterXXL app in-house.
AppFactory software engineers are responsible for designing, developing and testing new features that our customers will love alongside maintaining and improving existing apps. We work in cross--‐functional Agile teams that work across the whole software lifecycle from concept to submission and release. They take pride in delivering optimal business value through continuous delivery by designing well--‐architected, high--‐quality mobile applications.
To be successful, you’ll need a passion for developing apps with a real customer focus, wanting each and every one of our customers to be delighted with the features produced by the team. You’ll have strong technical abilities, be a great communicator and be able to self--‐organise and achieve results in a fast--‐paced environment. You’ll have a strong track record of capturing requirements through collaboration, and a proven ability to produce high--‐quality, maintainable and reusable software within an Agile team.
Skills and Experience
- Proven track record delivering apps in a multi--‐discipline Agile development team.
- In--‐depth hands--‐on development experience developing high quality testable code using Java and Android SDK
- Demonstrable problem--‐solving skills.
- Proficient with making network requests to RESTful APIs using best practice networking frameworks such as Retrofit, Volley, RoboSpice, Picasso etc
- Full understanding of the Android application lifecycle and in-depth experience with Fragments
- Appreciation of Android-specific asynchronous processing techniques
- Knowledge of strategies to handle issues related to platform fragmentation and multiple OS versions
Desired Skills & Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or similar
- Experience developing eCommerce apps for retail, working with personalisation, photo or printing Technology a bonus
- Experience working with software development tools including Git, Jira and Confluence
- Experience with writing UI Automation scripts using Appium
- Experience of Android User Experience design patterns
What can we offer?
- An opportunity to be surrounded by brilliant, talented and fun teams across the whole business where inspiration (and a little bit of crazy) is positively encouraged.
- A great working environment based in Southwark, London that is only an 8-minute walk to Southwark and London Bridge underground stations with Waterloo only 15 minutes away
- Working with cutting-edge technologies on a product with an ambitious and exciting roadmap
- Team training budget
- 25 days annual leave
- BUPA Private Medical Insurance
- 10% Discretionary Yearly Bonus
- Contributory pension scheme
- Life Assurance x4 Salary
- Your choice of Apple or Windows Laptop
- Eye Care Vouchers
- Season ticket loan scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- World Vision child sponsorship paid on your behalf
- Moonpig account loaded with £350 credit to spend each year
- Borough Market and the Tate Modern on the doorstep.
- Oh…. and we have a table tennis table in one of the meeting rooms, Nespresso machines in the kitchens, and monthly birthday cake/beer.